Sunday, June 20, 2010

Monochromatic Musings

Welcome stampers...hope you are all enjoying your Sunday. Happy Father's Day to the men in your life...or to any male readers?? (not sure if any guys stop by, but I sure didn't want to leave you out!) We are back with yet another new challenge at Sundays With Crissy. This week the amazingly talented Mary Giemza has challenged us to create a monochromatic project! I was really excited to try out this technique, as I've seen some gorgeous monochromatic creations around blogland.

This week, I've worked with one of Crissy's digital stamps available from Wags 'n Whiskers. This is "Ride 'Em Ryan". I thought this image would lend itself beautifully to the monochromatic challenge. I was thinking of those Old West "wanted" posters....something weathered, masculine and coloured in shades of brown.

In keeping with the overall "brown" colour scheme, I went with a Kraft cardstock base, dark brown Bazzill cardstock for matting a scrap of DP from Bo Bunny. I had a lot of fun distressing that piece of Kraft cardstock behind Ryan. I crumpled it up into a ball and rolled it around in my palms to loosen the fibres of the paper. I then misted it with water and ran it through two shades of Distress Ink (Antique Linen and Tea Dye). After drying it with a hair dryer (umm, I should probably get a heat tool, huh?? lol), I applied more Tea Dye ink followed by some Brushed Corduroy with my Tim Holtz blending tool. I also inked all paper edges with Brushed Corduroy.


I started off colouring with my Copic markers, but decided to add in additional shading with my Conte Crayons. I also ran a little more Brushed Corduroy over the entire image in an attempt to antique it a bit more.


You should see what the rest of Crissy's Crew has created for Mary's Monochromatic challenge...be prepared to sit and soak it all in. These ladies are so very talented, and I know you will find some inspiration when you check out their work over at Sundays With Crissy!

We're changing things up a little for this challenge...you will have until midnight (EST) on July 17, 2010 to create a project for this challenge. Crissy has also added to her fantastis prize package from LSL Diversified this month...the winner will also get a free Crissy Armstrong Digital Image!! Not only that, but Crissy will have a second prize for this extended challenge...a beautiful pack of paper plus a free Digital Image! The rules?? You MUST use one of Crissy's Digital Images on your project if you would like your name to be put in the running for this wonderful prize! (although, we do still love to see your creations even if they are featuring other images...there is so much talent out there in blogland!!) So, grab one of Crissy's digis and choose your monochromatic colour scheme...then all you need to do is link up your project over at Sundays With Crissy. We can't wait to see what you make!

(you can purchase Crissy digital images from: Wags 'n Whiskers, Whimsy Stamps or Squigglefly)


Blessings,

Melanie

Digital Stamps: Wags 'n Whiskers "Ride 'Em Ryan" by artist Crissy Armstrong
Ink: Copic markers, Distress Inks (Antique Linen, Tea Dye, Brushed Corduroy)
Paper: Neenah, Kraft cardstock, Bazzill, Bo Bunny
Embellishments: KaiserCraft brads, twine, metal corner embellishments (from the Dollar Store!)

12 comments:

Crissy Armstrong said...

This is so breath taking! I love the added dimension that crumpling the paper caused! And the string is such a great embellishment and looks like his lasso rope! That was clever! This is amazing!

Kim said...

Oh my word girl this is stunning! it seriously looks like one of those old time photos! Absolutely gorgeous!!!
Hugs~ Kim

Zoe said...

what can I say... stunning. :) I love the deep shadows and the crumpled paper is the perfect touch.

Cheryl Valadez said...

I just couldn't resist commenting on this wonderful monochromatic creation! LOVE it!

Welcome! said...

Just GORGEOUS Melanie! I haven't attempted the monochromatic thing yet! Thanks for the inspiration! Love all the distressing and his lasoo is awesome! Happy Fathers day Dean!

Sarah Feeney said...

Wow - this is very cool!

Tricia said...

***GAWK***(sound of mouth falling open, in awe)

Renkata said...

Hi Melanie, love the shabby look of your card and colouring.

Jodi said...

Gorgeous work as always!! I love the coloring and everything about your card!! So pretty!
Hugs
Jodi =)

mycardz said...

Hi Melanie! Wow, another stunner! You always go way above and beyond with your amazing details - the crumpled paper and lasso rope are genius! Not to mention your totally awesome coloring. You really ROCKED this challenge! I am always so in awe of your work. This one definitely deserves a frame! Gorgeous! hugz, Mary

Patricia Garcia said...

Love your card Melanie, you are the queen of shading, LOVE it!!

Hugs,
Patricia

Sally Cicada Designs said...

FANTASTIC Melanie!!!! Such a cute card and your colouring/shading is awesome!!! Love the crinkled paper too!!
Hugs,
Sarah ☺